marketing

10 social media trends for 2009

on Dec 04 in marketing, social media, technology, trends posted by

It’s that time of year when pundits, prognosticators and fortune tellers come out of the woodwork. So I jumped on the bandwagon and got out my Tarot cards.

Here are my predictions for 10 social media trends during 2009. Of course, some of these will be wrong. I’ll miss others. But from a general perspective, it’s clear that social media is going to be changing fast. It’ll remain a moving target for marketers, yet an exciting technology for developers and users.

So here are my picks. What are yours?

1. Twitter will be more fully integrated with mainstream social networks (MySpace, Facebook, etc.)
  2. More Fortune 500 businesses will set up Twitter accounts and C-level blogs
  3. More social networking consolidation tools for one-stop profile and posting management will emerge
  4. Marketers will explore novel approaches to ad strategies on social networks
  5. Advertisers will implement improved tools and metrics to gauge the ROI of social media ad spend
  6. Political campaigns will follow Obama’s model in marketing through social media channels
  7. Multi-media press releases will integrate more fully into social media channels
  8. Advertisers will increase use of viral video as a standard ad strategy
  9. Methods and techniques will evolve to integrate social media experiences into real life
  10. Fortune 500 companies will increasingly adopt internal social media for management efficiency gains

6 Comments Leave a comment

1. I think we will see a big step forward in data mining applications for social media sites.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Google Analytics stepped into the scene, but it would likely be via an acquisition of a complementary technology so 2009 might be out. I don’t think Google is sitting on a lot of cash, although I’m certain they will come up with new income in 2009.

Online reputation management will be thrust to the forefront as all size businesses continue to make inroads to multiple destinations within the space. It will be important to at the very least track the traffic associated with those businesses without it being a full time job. After the data junkies get their fix with their various look at me widgets, this is likely the next best utilization of the data mining social media.

I also think, probably through some API, we will see the admission of social media tools like Twitter and Facebook in to the databanks of CRM tools like SalesForce.com and Zoho.com. It will become very relevant for me to know about my customer and what they are up to especially if I am in a relationship business. It will take some development to weave the many threads into a usable format, but CRM software hasn’t had much innovation since the launch of a hosted solution so maybe this will inspire them.

My .02 on 2009 in SM.

d

Comment by Darryl Parker — December 13, 2008 @ 12:45 pm

2. It seems that as soon as I think I’m getting a handle on social media, I find out that the surface has just been scratched. There is so much to learn and it moves so quickly. Thank you for helping us to stay on top of things.

Comment by Susan/Unique Business Opportunity — December 13, 2008 @ 12:47 pm

3. @Darryl Parker Good points Darryl. Especially regarding online reputation management. It’s a big deal for organizations. Part of that is online crisis management, as we saw in the Motrin Moms debacle.

@Susan Absolutely! Social media is moving so fast, which makes it incredibly exciting (IMHO), but also a bit daunting! There’s a delicate balance between necessary focus on the important stuff, and following trends to make sure you’re always head of the curve, at the risk of ending up in a dead end (e.g., Pownce).

Comment by Roger — December 15, 2008 @ 12:40 pm

4. I like this list. One thing I’d like to see more of, and I’d love your thoughts on this, is the reaching out to other niche communities on the part of larger companies and corporations. I feel that this reaching out should be an integral part of the overall strategy. In other words, don’t just stick to your own network. People are discussing your brand, products and services all over the web, particularly in niche communities. it’s time to capitalize on that and join the conversations elsewhere. That is what I’d like to help facilitate for 2009.

Comment by Angela Connor — December 15, 2008 @ 5:55 pm

5. @Angela Connor Absolutely, reaching out to niche communities will be a core part of social media strategy. I recommend to clients with highly varied segments that they take a modular approach, with variations on strategy for each niche community. An umbrella strategy will dictate overall direction, while the modules will fit in the overall framework. Another important piece of the puzzle is to ensure that social media strategy is integrated with overall communications strategy and is of course consistent with the organization’s mission and vision.

Comment by Roger — December 16, 2008 @ 2:43 pm

6. Roger; Thanks so much for the detailed response. I would like to talk more about this with you in the near future. I am highly focused on niche communities.

Comment by Angela Connor — December 16, 2008 @ 5:28 pm