Hootsuite is a free browser-based application that can streamline your Twitter use. Using Hootsuite will enhance the way you interact with Twitter and fellow users, greatly increasing the efficiency of your time spent Tweeting.
Other applications do a lot of what Hootsuite does, such as shorten URLs or schedule Tweets, but none does them all in one place as smoothly as Hootsuite.
Over the next ten days I’ll publish tips to using Hootsuite that will have you hooked! First, you will need to create a Hootsuite account, and then access your dashboard. Here’s a preview of what your Dashboard will look like.
The basic architecture includes:
- Tweet field — where you enter your 140 character tweets as you would on your Twitter page.
- Select profiles — you select the profiles from which you’d like to Tweet.
- Columns — the heart of the Hootsuite column, presenting Twitter feeds in one place.
- Profile tabs — access the columns for each profile.
- Stats and settings — access statistics and configure your accounts.
More about these in the coming days. So on to the recommended steps:
Step 1. Use the “Schedule Tweets” feature
The top part of the dashboard is an area to enter your 140 character message just as you would on Twitter. Click on “Send later” and enter the time (nearest five minutes) and date. You can schedule a Tweet for at least 20 years into the future if not longer. My aims are more modest, but I already have scheduled all my Tweets for Halloween! You could do the same for Thanksgiving, or a friend’s birthday, or personal reminders. Check the Alert box to be sent an email when the Tweet is posted. Your pending Tweets will show up in the Pending Tweets column and can be edited as needed.