Here are some answers to questions you might have if you’re new to social media, or if you are considering our services. Please don’t hesitate to let us know if you want clarification or if you have questions, thoughts, ideas that are not addressed here.
- What is social media?
- Why social media?
- Does my business need help?
- How do I know you can do a good job?
- Who is Harris Social Media?
- What services do you offer?
- How can I get in touch?
What is social media?
You’ve heard about it, but what is social media exactly? There is no quick answer to this question, but basically, it is a suite of technologies that allow people to share information online within user communities. For more background, check out our page: What is social media?
Why social media?
Your product, service or brand are at the heart of your business. So where does social media fit? Think of social media as a relationship-building tool. Your business depends on relationships. Your customers or clients, suppliers and contractors, and your employees or colleagues are all part of your relationship network. Social media helps your nurture such relationships online, efficiently and cost-effectively. Here are some benefits from using social media:
- Increase website traffic — Social media allows numerous opportunities to generate links back to your website, boosting search engine rank.
- Generate leads — The viral nature of social media creates opportunities to expand your network beyond your existing relationships; you can turn new contacts into leads.
- Cultivate repeat business — Your existing customers will love to engage with you, giving you the opportunity to provide them with special offers and product updates.
- Keep up or stay ahead with the competition — Most experts agree that social media is the future of online marketing; you can be a step ahead of your competition if you are an early adopter.
- Low cost of entry — Most applications are free to user, although you will need to budget for time to maintain a social media presence.
- Leveraging recommendations — You can use existing happy customers to advocate for your product and brand.
- Learn from your customers — Your customers can help you figure out what works and what needs improvement; and you can find out faster and at lower cost than conventional market research.
- Tie-in with traditional marketing — It’s not one or the other; you can use social media to support and reinforce your traditional marketing.
- It’s not just a fad — A recent report from Forrester Research shows that social media will lead all other channels in marketing effectiveness for the next five years.
Business Week Social Media Will Change Your Business
Mashable What are the Benefits of Social Media Marketing?
Wall Street Journal For Companies, a Tweet in Time Can Avert PR Mess
Enterpreneur The Cost (and Payoff) of Investing in Social Media
Inc.com Social Media: More than Creating Connections
Harvard Business Review Overcoming the Obstacles To Social Business
Does my business need help?
Social media seems simple. Applications such as Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn are so easy to use, you can easily set up profiles and pages. But success in social media can be elusive. You may have heard of social media disasters. So there’s a risk too. Do you know how to minimize that risk? Once you engage in social media, you need commitment of time and resources to harvest the benefits. Do you know how make the most of your time and resources to maximize the return on your investment? If you’re unsure about the answers to these questions, you will benefit from outside expertise. That’s where Harris Social Media comes in. We can provide insight, planning and training on how to make the most of your marketing dollar and to minimize risks. Not convinced? Here are additional reasons why you might need help with your social media marketing:
- Lack of in-house expertise in social media strategy — We can advise you on strategy and planning, and on whether it is appropriate to out-source implementation.
- Too little time to keep up with the latest developments — We can help you keep up with the dizzying pace of change in online marketing and social technologies.
- Limited budget to spend on glitzy agencies with too little time to spend focused on your business — We tailor our programs to meet your budget and needs, while providing personal attention with you at the top of our priorities.
- Uncertain about how to get started — We will work with you to find out what is going to work best and where to start, with solid benchmarks and continual progress reviews.
- Unsure how to allocate responsibilities — Our close analysis of your situation will allow us to advise on who can best represent you in social channels
- No desire to learn all the skills necessary to succeed in social media — We offer a scalable training program that will quickly bring you up to speed on social media best practices to enable you to manage your social media presence inhouse.
And here are some reasons you might not need help.
How do I know you can do a good job?
You want to be confident that you are getting the best fit for your needs and resources. Feel free to review our About page to gauge our experience and expertise. You’re invited to check out Roger Harris’ profile on LinkedIn to get an idea of his experience and skills. Here’s what to look for when considering who you’ll ask for help:
- 25 Signs You’ve Got a Strong SM Consultant or Agency
- Social Media Consultant or Snake Oil Salesman?
- 10 Questions to Evaluate a Social Media ‘Expert’
- 5 ways to identify a social media false prophet
Who is Harris Social Media?
Harris Social Media is a communications consultancy. Roger Harris leads the company, offering his professional experience developing social media strategies for top-tier clients. Our focus is social media, but we offer expertise for a wide range of communications channels. For more information about the company and our services, check out the About page.
What services do you offer?
Please see our Services page for an overview of our services. However, we encourage you to contact us for a free consultation. This will help us better evaluate your needs and see if we are a good fit for you.
How can I get in touch?
Please see our contact page for complete contact information.